Friday, September 30, 2016

Shadowhunters - Season 1

If you're familiar with The Mortal Instruments book series by Cassandra Clare, then you might have seen the Shadowhunters TV show, which follows the same story.

I actually started watching this in January when it came out and had to stop it for certain reasons, but I had the chance to finish it just recently and now I'm ready to talk about it! :)

I have to admit that I'm not completely sure how I feel about this show. I mean, it's not bad, but it certainly isn't that great, I think? I am happy there's going to be a second season, and I'm definitely going to be watching that! But there were some things that bothered me, which I hope get better in season two.

First, there's the script. I think if they were trying to make the dialogues funny and witty, but most of the time I just found it all to be so uncomfortable! It was like secondhand embarrassment, I just sat there listening to those bad jokes and comebacks while covering up my face like that was going to make it better!



Although there were some actors who pulled it off and made it less awkward, thank God! And a lot of the actors also started getting better with time, in my opinion. The cast is really amazing, I look at them and they really resemble the people from the books, but some of the acting seemed kinda off... maybe it was the funny script I mentioned? Let's just hope so... and let's hope things get better as well.

Oh and this was most definitely for an older target? There was more sex here than I expected... meaning that I didn't expect any sex at all. I don't know how I feel about that, since The Mortal Instruments is Young Adult (at least the books I've read so far) and I think it was a bit unnecessary here. Yes, we know, sex happens, but it happens on every single TV show out there, why not just stick to the shadowhunter stuff?

Also, if you've read the reviews I wrote for City of Bones and City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #1 and #2), then you know how I feel about Simon (long story short: I can't stand the guy), but this Simon from the show... I think I like him!! I don't know how, or why (my guess is that it's the actor), but I like him here. Who would've thought that could happen??!!

And someone I love even more than I did in the books is our dear Magnus. The actor does a really good job, and I really liked seeing him with Alec.



Clary was a bit annoying most of the time, same with Jace. Because really honey, what makes you think that you can go unprepared for battle and that you're going to win? Clary just found out that she's a shadowhunter, she's had no training whatsoever, but she can obviously go to Valentine on her own and beat him. NO, YOU CAN'T, CLARY. YOU CAN'T. SIT DOWN. Gosh...

I do hope that she's learned her lesson now, and that she becomes more reasonable for next season, which I'm actually looking forward to! And I do wonder how they're going to to continue the story, since there's also The Infernal Devices book series, and I guess the show's going to be about that as well. Can't wait to see what happens next :) But oh please, let's just hope they work better on the cheesy/awkward script from now on.


Have you read The Mortal Instruments? What did you think of the show?

Thank you for reading! ♥

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's really nice to watch if you've read the books :)

      Delete
  2. I watched the first couple of episodes and I ended up having to give up. The acting and dialogue was too cheesy for me! I like some of the actors (the guy that plays Magus especially), but I just couldn't get past the cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost gave up more than once, but I decided I wanted to see what they would do with the story, but oh God I know what you mean, they need to work better on that dialogue!!

      Delete
  3. I only watched three or four episodes and then I had to give up! I found the acting to be really bad... and I think that has a lot to do with the script you mentioned. It just wasn't for me and I couldn't enjoy it. Maybe I'll finish season 1 one day, but I doubt it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, most actors were not that great, and that script... >.<
      I do hope things get better next season, because I don't want to keep watching just because of the books.

      Delete
  4. I watched some of this and had to judge it strictly as a TV show since I didn't (and probably won't) read the books. Didn't love this Clary (I think Lilly Collins does a better job with the character in the film), am fine with TV Jace and I confess, I do like Simon. Otherwise, I felt kind of so-so about the show. It's not terrible (decent binge-watch material), but I'm not terribly invested in the show either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are entertaining, although I don't love them as much as most people seem to. And I didn't love Clary either :( but oh well. And Simon's really great!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...