Monday, July 10, 2017

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery


Title: Anne of Green Gables
Author: L.M. Montgomery
Genre: Classic, Children's
Publication: June 1908

My Rating: 5/5

When Anne Shirley arrives at Green Gables farm on Prince Edward Island, she surprises everyone: first of all, she is a girl. Marilla Cuthbert and her brother, Matthew, had specifically asked for an orphan boy. She has bright red hair that won't manage and a mouth that won't shut. Nothing will ever be the same at Green Gables!

A favorite story of generations of girls ever since it was first published in 1908, Lucy Maud Montgomery's classic story of one girl's profound effect on a small Canadian community has stayed in print for nearly one hundred years and has been made into a popular TV series and even a musical.




"Dear old world," she murmured, "you are very lovely and I am very glad to be alive in you."

There are so many amazing quotes in this book, that if I shared them all, I'd just end up sharing the whole book.

I can't really go and say that Anne of Green Gables reminds me of my childhood and brings back so many memories. I never read it when I was a child. I think that the book wasn't that popular where I grew up.

But anyway, here I am, all grown up now, just finished reading and I loved every second of it! I seriously had just started reading the book and I had already fallen in love with Anne!! I just adore her!

It's so entertaining to see how theatrical she can be. The drama when she finds out that the Cuthberts wanted a boy and not a girl, and that they probably would send her back... Oh the agony, oh the horror, oh the tragedy...


She's so adorable, she could make me laugh and cry at the same time.

And Anne most definitely wanted to see me weep, I almost started crying on the subway because of her, she certainly knows how to touch your heart and get to you, good God.

Even so, she never failed to impress me with her optimism. She seems to make mistake after mistake, but, like she says, she learns from them and never makes the same mistake twice (well, I'm not completely sure about that, I must say).

I love the way she sees the world.

And oh my God does she talk a lot!!


Anne also had a very peculiar and funny way of expressing herself, she managed to make me laugh all the time. I especially loved it when she'd say something about "a kindred spirit". She was really fixated on that phrase.

The Cuthberts were very lovely people and I really liked them. I found it very interesting how they both had such a hard time sharing their thoughts and feelings, but were still so incredibly different from one another.

There were also all kinds of characters, and I enjoyed reading about them all, even if I didn't like something about them or their personality. Gilbert Blythe definitely caught my attention, he seems like a really nice guy, I can't wait to see what else happens between him and Anne.

Can't wait to read more of Anne's adventures :)

Did you ever read this book as a child? What do you think of the new Netflix adaptation?

Thank you for reading! ♥

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...