Monday, March 20, 2017

Beauty and the Beast (2017)


I can't believe this movie is finally here!! Seems like it was ages ago that it was announced, and I've been eagerly waiting ever since!

Every time someone would mention this movie I'd just get so excited (and oh so impatient). If you're a regular here, then you know my undeniable passion for Beauty and the Beast, it's my favorite fairy tale and I can't get enough of it. And not only that, but Emma Watson playing Belle?? Honey, I grew up a Potterhead, and Hermione has always been one of my favorite characters. I really appreciate Emma's work as advocate for gender equality as well. Also, I'm a Disney Princess at heart (yes, I'll be an 80-year-old granny and still consider myself a Disney Princess, one is never too old for that, what's your point). So, how could I not be excited??

Just to share this with you, I went to this movie knowing that I would be bawling throughout the whole thing. And boy was I right! I'm so lucky I decided to apply that coat of waterproof mascara on top of my regular one, God knows I would've left that cinema with a black streaked face if not.


This especially happened when they sang the original songs. I just lost it during the ball while they were dancing and all. Too many emotions. Too many childhood memories. Too much happiness.


Many people thought that it'd be a complete copy of the original, mostly because of the trailer, I guess. It bothered me a little bit that people would be so quick to criticize this before it was even out, just because they were completely sure that this would be like the trailer, like it would be the exact same thing. Why? Why condemn it when you don't even know for sure that that's how it's going to be?

There were a few things that weren't in the original version, and I just loved them all. None of them felt unnecessary or like they were out of place or ruining the story, it was all very well done.

AND OH MY GOD THAT BOOK HE HAS.

As for the actors, I have to say that Emma Watson really fit the part. Can someone tell me how one can be so incredibly beautiful?! How is that even possible?!


The beast was adorable and his lopsided smile melted my heart. I also loved the people from the castle (Lumière was incredibly funny!) and the designs were amazingly done, they all looked awesome (Mrs Potts was a bit harder to get used to at first, I'll admit).

And two of the people that I think did a wonderful, wonderful job were Gaston and Lefou, they were just like the characters from the animated movie!! But don't get me wrong, I didn't see them as copies of the original ones, they both added their own touch to their characters and it was great, and let's just appreciate Luke Evans' singing for a moment, can we?


Another thing I loved was the wardrobe, Belle's dresses were always perfect and, honey, how I'd love to wear them myself, especially the blue one she usually wore. Beautiful. They were very simple, even the famous yellow dress.

And I'm already seeing myself, doing my hair and makeup like Belle's everyday for the next few weeks. It's Frozen all over again, where I'd wear a braid like Elsa's and do my makeup just like hers (just a bit more subtle though) for days! I just can't help it :)

I also like how Disney is handling things when it comes to diversity. These past few years there has been more acceptance towards the LGBTQIA community, and I've actually read many people wondering if Disney will make a story about a gay character one day, especially a male one (understandable, I can't remember how many men I've heard criticize male homosexuals, while saying they love seeing girls together, but sexualizing the whole thing, of course), and I've actually seen many parents complain about it and say that they wouldn't want their children seeing that kind of relationship, because they wouldn't want to explain that, because how do you explain that to your child? (Yeah, I know, what the F).


Let me just say this: I'm a young woman, and there has never been a moment in my life when I first saw a gay couple and was all "omg what is that?!", to me it's just always been kind of normal, it's always been there, although I did grow up in a sexist country, so I've seen how much hate gay men can get in such places. But I'd like to think that my own way of thinking represents that of today's youth, these new generations are seeing things with new eyes, and they're being more accepting, which really gives me hope for the future.

And not only that, but there's also a guy in the movie who apparently enjoys wearing ladies' clothes.

Disney is also including black actors for roles that were originally for white people. I especially noticed this in Descendants (loved it, happily waiting for the sequel - why yes, I'm never growing up, we established that already). And, of course, they're showing little girls that they can achieve whatever they want in life on their own.

As you can see, I only have nice things to say about the movie. My expectations were high, and I left the cinema a very happy person. I really enjoyed it and I loved how it made me feel, like I was a child again. I even enjoyed the credits! They were so pretty...

I hope you get the chance to see this and enjoy it as much as I do. This is a story that never gets old, and that deserves all the attention it gets.



Have you seen the movie? What did you think of it?

Thank you for reading! ♥

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see this, I'll be going this weekend. I am happy to hear you really enjoyed the movie, Carla. I will always be a Disney princess, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you enjoy it too, Jess!! :D
      Haha being a Disney princess is for life! <3

      Delete
  2. Nice film https://bysinkj.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to watch this movie
    Http://www.mosaictrends.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really loved it, I hope you enjoy watching this! ^-^

      Delete
  4. Can't wait to see how another 'Emma' acts...well I do love both!

    http://fetish-tokyo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I saw the movie the Fridge it premiered. I will say that I LOVED every moment of it!

    I agree about Belle's wardrobe, it was fabulous! I do think they could have make the yellow dress a bit more pouffy though.

    Couldn't agree with you more about the gay characters. I loved them! They did wait until the end of the movie though,maybe in the future we'll get to see some main characters take on those roles! I also agree that with our generation and younger we're much more open minded than the older generations. I had a (older) co-worker tell me not to see the movie because two men "liked" each other. Let me tell you, I had to hold my breath for a minute so I wouldn't snap on her! I took the approach of softening my voice and telling her I'm open-minded and that everyone should have the right to be with who they want to, not what society thinks is appropriate.

    Great review Carla! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved it as well!!! :D

      Yes, it surprised me to see how simple the yellow dress was, although it looked great on Emma.

      That's too bad about your co-worker :/ sadly there are a lot of people like that out there, but I think there's less and less every day :)

      Thank you so much for your comment, Miranda!! ^-^

      Delete
  6. I am going to be seeing The Beauty and The Beast movie on Friday and I am SO EXCITED. I think the main reason a lot of people are going to see the movie is because Emma Watson and Disney. And while I am a HUGE Disney fan, I've only seen two movies with Watson in them (the first two Harry Potter movies) and I thought her character was annoying >.> But maybe it will different seeing her acting as an adult. I am so excited for the wardrobe because I love dresses, and I also love the soundtrack already so seeing it in the movie is something I am so ready for! I am so happy you could love this one so much and be hit with all the childhood feels :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it!! :D
      Yes, there were a lot of people who got very excited because Emma Watson would be playing Belle.
      Ugh the wardrobe and the soundtrack <3 <3 everything was so precious.
      Can't wait to know what you think of it! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...